About Debate @British
Our Debate @British club for students between 7th and 12th grade offers young learners the tools and opportunity to learn how to better express their ideas and improve their public speaking skills.
Debate is an intellectual sport which trains critical thinking, speaking skills and teamwork, whilst raising participants' awareness of national and international issues.
Debate is a very popular curricular and extracurricular activity in the UK and other Western countries and a good addition to any CV and academic portfolio if you would like your child to study at a top foreign university.
By joining the Debate @British Club, your child also benefits from a 1 year subscription at our library in Bucharest.
Prices and levels
We have two age groups: Grades 7-8 and Grades 9-12. The Debate @British Club is comprised of four progressive modules:
- Beginner - 700 RON - For absolute beginners in English debates. Develop valuable skills such as analytical thinking, public speaking, teamwork, individual work, research and reasoning.
- Intermediate - 700 RON - Further develop all debate skills, have the chance to participate in mock debate competitions and attend debate competitions.
- Advanced - 700 RON - Further develop all debate skills and participate at national debate competitions.
- Practice club - 500 RON - Further develop all debate skills and, based on performance, be selected to participate at international competitions.
Term dates and timetable
The Debate @British Club has an Autumn, Winter and Spring term. Each term consists of 10 two-hour sessions and a full-day debate competition in English held on the last Sunday of the term.
The club sessions take place every Monday at the Bucharest - Main Centre (14 Calea Dorobanţilor), according to the schedule below:
||10 October - 12 December 2016
Competition: 11 December
||16 January* - 27 March 2017
Competition: 26 March
*The Beginner module will start on 23 January
|4 - 12 February
||3 April - 26 June 2017
Competition: 25 June
|15 April - 7 May
There are three timetable options available for each term: 09:00 - 11:00, 16:00 - 18:00, 19:00 - 21:00.
Debate @British Club trainers
All our trainers are debate professionals from ARDOR Muntenia, the leading debate association in Romania, and have experience in training high school teams at national and international competitions.
- Emanuel Beteringhe has been a trainer for 12 years and is the President of ARDOR Muntenia. He recently trained two Debate @British Club teams who participated at Romania's largest competitions: PTA ( Primu' Turneu ARGO) and Saint George City of Debate VIII.
- Nae Șovăială has been a trainer for 7 years and trained the national debate team at the Worlds Schools Debating Competition 2011, Scotland.
- David Moscovici has been a trainer for 10 years and proudly represented Romania in the finals at the World Universities Debating Competition 2008, Thailand.
How to register
If it's the first time you're registering for the Debate @British club, you will need to book an interview. Please follow the registration steps listed here.
If you have already participated in our Debate @British club modules, please contact us for direct registration.