Academic Teaching Excellence (ATE) is a teacher training course, developed in cooperation with the University of Oxford’s Department of Education, which supports academic staff teaching in English.
Higher education institutions in Europe are increasingly offering academic degree courses in the English language. But teaching a degree course in English can be a substantial challenge for someone who is not a native speaker of the language, especially when most of the students who follow the course are also non-native speakers.
ATE gives teachers the tools to deliver more confident and effective teaching in English.
TAKE THE ACADEMIC TEACHING EXCELLENCE COURSE WITH THE WORLD’S ENGLISH EXPERTS AND YOU WILL:
- Improve the quality of your lecturer-student communication in class
- Learn useful techniques for day-to-day teaching
- Be introduced to the principles of teaching with English as Medium of Instruction (EMI) – the latest research from the University of Oxford’s Department of Education
- Analyse and review your current teaching practices and, through intensive micro-teaching sessions, acquire advanced language skills.
The course addresses a spectrum of teaching situations, giving you individual feedback and personalised suggestions on how to improve performance.
For more detailed information, download our ATE leaflet (234 KB) below.
Option 1: At your institution
We can bring the ATE course to your institution. Without additional costs for your staff travel and accommodation, we can offer this course in the teaching environment your staff is familiar with. We offer the course as a week-long seminar (35 hours) or, alternatively, in blocks spread over a period that fits with the availability of your teaching staff.
A maximum of 20 participants from all disciplines can take part in a single ATE course. For more details about organising the course at your institution, please send us an e-mail at email@example.com, and include the institution name and the number of participants.
Option 2: Individual participants
The ATE courses for groups of individuals depend on sufficient demand. The course is offered as a week-long seminar (35 hours). If you are interested in participating in a future course, please send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your full name and contact details and we will record your request on our waiting list.
- Course fees for courses taught at your institution are fixed for groups of up to 14 or up to 20 participants.
- Course fees for individual participants following ATE courses taught at the British Council may vary, based on the number of participants, and it ca be up to RON 1200.