You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1 READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF 564KB) and the Notice to Candidates (PDF 59KB). They contain important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
Please note that IELTS is recommended for candidates over the age of 16.
2 DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
You can access the IELTS test dates for 2014 on our Test dates, fees and locations page.
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
- in person at the British Council Bucharest (14 Calea Dorobantilor). For Cluj and Iasi sessions, you can also pay the fee at our other centres: British Council Iasi (4 Pacurari Street) and British Council Cluj-Napoca (11 Arany Janos Street). Please check our opening hours.
- by courier/ post to Examinations Services, IELTS test, 14 Calea Dorobantilor, disctrict 1, 010572, Bucharest. Please make sure your application is sent during the registration period.
5 PREPARE AND SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
Note that this step is not applicable if you uploaded your identification document (ID) and paid the fee via our Online Registration System.
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- the Application Form;
- a photocopy of your ID (your passport or national identity card);
- a copy of the proof of payment issued by the bank;
- a parental/legal guardian consent form (if you are under 18 years old).
Important: Candidates who are not Romanian citizens must provide a copy of their valid passport upon registration.
6 CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
The cost of sitting a test is 750 RON. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
1) online with your Visa or Mastercard debit/ credit card. You can make your online payment at the same time as you book your place using our Online Registration System.
2) in person at the British Council Bucharest reception desk. Please check our opening hours. The payment methods are:
iii) Via a bank transfer
Direct deposit to the British Council account at any Transilvania Bank branch. You can pay the test fee via internet banking through you own bank. Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges.
Beneficiary: British Council
Opened at: Citibank Europe plc - Dublin sucursala Romania (145 Calea Victoriei, Bucuresti)
Account number: IBAN RO88 CITI 0000 0008 2601 2196 C.U.I. / C.F.: 9000 0000 26598 / 22.02.91
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: IELTS / family name / city / test date' e.g. 'IELTS / Popescu / Bucuresti / 18Jan2014'.
- Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents. If you registered online, send us the bank transfer receipt via email to email@example.com.
7 COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
Note that this step is not applicable if you uploaded your ID and paid the fee via our Online Registration System.
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
- Send all documents from step 5 and your Application Summary to the address below:
British Council Bucharest - IELTS test
14 Calea Dorobantilor
Sector 1, Bucuresti
We need to receive all documents within three working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8 AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email five working days before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact Exams services at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy on the IELTS transfer/ cancellation form (PDF 48KB) prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a £30 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please download the IELTS transfer/ cancellation form (PDF 48KB). Complete and submit the form with any supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
You can apply for a transfer:
- At least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for by completing and submiting an IELTS transfer/ cancellation form (document download at the bottom of the page).
- If you want to transfer within five weeks or less of the test date, you will have to provide appropriate evidence to support your request. If you want to do this, please complete and submit the IELTS transfer/ cancellation form (PDF 48KB) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Please note that only one transfer to a new test date may be approved. Candidates whose transfer is confirmed and who choose not to sit the test, cannot ask for another transfer or cancellation even if they are in one of the special circumstances above.