Happy Cinema joins over 1500 cinemas around the world that will delight their audiences with the Royal Opera House season and will broadcast by satellite from London, Covent Garden, a selection of the 12 most loved shows from the classic repertoire "The Royal Opera" and "The Royal Ballet".
Upcoming show: Bernstein Celebration
The upcoming show from the Royal Opera House and the Royal Ballet 2017/2018 Season, "Bernstein Celebration", will be screened on 1st of April, starting 16:00, at Happy Cinema Bucharest.
Leonard Bernstein was one of the first classical composers in America to achieve both popular and critical acclaim. He was eclectic in his sources – drawing on jazz and modernism, the traditions of Jewish music and the Broadway musical – and many of Bernstein’s scores are remarkably well suited to dance. He was particularly associated with Jerome Robbins, their credits together including Fancy Free and West Side Story. To celebrate the centenary year of the composer’s birth, The Royal Ballet has united all three of its associate choreographers to celebrate the dynamic range and danceability of Bernstein’s music.
The programme includes two world premieres by Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor and Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon, marking each artist’s first foray into Bernstein. At the heart of the programme is the first revival of Artist in Residence Liam Scarlett’s The Age of Anxiety, created in 2014 to Bernstein’s soul-searching Second Symphony. Both symphony and ballet are inspired by W.H. Auden’s masterful modernist poem, itself written in response to the atmosphere of disillusionment and uncertainty that followed the end of World War II.
Approximate running time: 3 hours, 2 intervals included
Screenings schedule 2017-2018
- 24 September: "The Magic Flute" (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) - opera
- 8 October: "La Bohème" (Giacomo Puccini) - opera
- 29 October: "Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland" (Christopher Wheeldon) - ballet
- 10 December: "The Nutcracker" (Peter Wright after Lev Ivanov) - ballet
- 16 December: "The Nutcracker" (Peter Wright after Lev Ivanov) - ballet
- 21 January: "Rigoletto" (Giuseppe Verdi) - opera
- 11 February: "Tosca" (Giacomo Puccini) - opera
- 4 March: "The Winter's Tale" (Christopher Wheeldon) - ballet
- 11 March: "Carmen" (Georges Bizet) - opera
- 1 April: "Centenary of Bernstein: New McGregor / The age of anxiety / New Wheeldon" - ballet
- 8 April: "Macbeth" (Giuseppe Verdi) - opera
- 6 May: "Manon" (Kenneth MacMillan) - ballet
- 17 June: "Swan Lake" (Liam Scarlett after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov) - ballet
Location: HAPPYCINEMA® Bucharest (Liberty Center), 10 minutes away from Unirii Square, on 151-171 Progresului Street.