We are your best starting point for learning English. People from all over the world study English with us by following a course in one of our English Schools or by using our free online resources for teachers and learners. We can give you the confidence and skills you need to communicate effectively in English. With over 70 years of English language teaching experience, we can help you achieve your goals.
Free online teaching resources
Our websites engage adults and children globally, and provide valuable support for teachers.
Learn English online with the help of this free website from the British Council. You will find games, stories, listening activities and grammar exercises that will help you develop your skills.
In the Listen & Watch section, you will discover lots of new listening activities and videos and, in the Business & Work section, you can find materials aimed at helping you reach your professional aspirations by developing your English skills. We also have a new Grammar section and new IELTS exam practice materials.
Become a member to add comments to the site and ask questions to get help with your English.
TeachingEnglish is the central point of reference for teachers, trainers and those working in other areas of English language teaching.
Across the site, you will find free classroom materials to download, from short activities to full lesson plans, for teaching children and adults. There are also articles on aspects of teaching, and free teacher development and teacher training materials.
Don't forget to register on the Teaching English site if you wish to interact fully with other users, add comments and download exam preparation material. As a member, you will be able to:
- build your own profile and join an international online community
- leave questions for our guest writers, teachers and other users
- download teacher training materials for free
- access the new materials before everyone else.
The British Council has released a suite of apps to help learners improve their English. Through these apps you can:
- listen to and watch conversations in real-life contexts to sharpen your everyday listening skills
- record and learn new words in a vocabulary flashcard app
- practice your grammar through interactive grammar activities
- challenge yourself and your friends through word games
- help children practise phonics sounds and watch children’s stories on tablet devices.
The British Council’s apps are suitable for English learners of all levels and ages, including young learners. Learn more about our apps that are available on iTunes Store, Google Play, BlackBerry App World and Windows Store or search for “British Council” in the app store to find all our apps.
With LearnEnglish Exams your students can get last-minute practice and revision exercises for B2 First, B2 First for Schools and C1 Advanced exams.